History

A History of All Souls

First Service
In 1881 in Gypsy Village (now Sandringham), the first service in the new wooden church of All Souls, located in Queens Square, was conducted by the Rev'd. E. C. Spicer on 2nd November - All Souls Day.

In 1904, the wooden church was moved to the present Bay Rd site. It was later re-sited on the same land to allow the concrete church to be built.


Present Site 
The church is believed to be the first reinforced concrete church in Australia at the cost of about £10,000 and the foundation stone was laid on 7th September 1919. It was consecrated on 10th December 1921 and the first services were held in it the next day.





Our Parish Today

A Tennis Club was formed in 1927. It was established and opened its own courts on 2 February 1929 in Rose St., Sandringham. The clubhouse was erected in 1935.
In 1938, a branch of the C.E.M.S (now the Anglican Men's Society) was formed.

A shop adjacent to the church was purchased in 1957. It was fitted up and established as All Souls Opportunity Shop. This proved to be a successful and profitable venture. Today it continues to raise thousands of dollars for charity each year.

The Garden of the Resurrection: On Mothering Sunday, 25 March 1979, The Garden of Resurrection and its complimentary Book of Remembrance were dedicated.

On Sunday 30 October 2005, a new extension was dedicated by Bishop John Wilson. The new facilities included an extension to the existing lounge area, updated kitchen, meeting rooms and a small lounge downstairs.